CORONAVIRUS DISEASE - SYMPTOMS AND PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES
Coronavirus disease origin
Coronavirus disease 2019 popularly known as COVID-19 is an infectious disease caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 ( SARS-CoV-2 ). First identified in Wuhan, China in December 2019 has resulted in an ongoing pandemic.
The very first COVID-19 confirmed case has been traced in November 2019 in Hubei. As of now, more than 15 million cases have been reported across 188 countries. As a result of COVID-19 more than 600,000 people died.
We have all lived through a few months of uncertainty and it seems to be clear that this will be a way of life with the rise and ebb of COVID across the country. Here we are listing some of the common symptoms and precautionary measures to be taken.
Coronavirus Disease Symptoms
The most common symptom of COVID-19 is Fever but is highly variable in severity and presentation. In a study, it has been found that only 44% of people had fever when they presented to the hospital, while 89% develop fever at some point during their hospitalization.
Coronavirus affects different people in different ways. As per World Health Organization ( WHO ), most of the infected people will develop mild to moderate illness and recover without hospitalization. WHO has categorized symptoms in three classes mentioned below :
Most common symptoms :
- Dry cough
Less common symptoms :
- Aches and Pains
- Sore Throat
- Headache along with loss of taste or smell
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Chest pain or pressure
- Loss of speech or movement
We all know that COVID-19 vaccine is not expected soon. Without a vaccine, the only way to manage COVIDâ€‘19 is by trying to decrease and delay the epidemic peak.
Preventive measures to reduce the chances of infection include
- Washing your hands regularly with soap and water.
- Maintaining at least 1 metre distance between you and people coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Avoiding crowded places and wear a mask in public.
- Staying at home as far as possible.
- Avoid smoking and other activities that weaken the lungs